Hello and welcome to Performance Sport
The Performance Sport scheme at The University of Sheffield is the pinnacle of sport for our students. We commit over £60,000 in various services to supporting our Elite Sports Performance Scheme athletes in order to allow them all to succeed in their chosen sport whilst also maintaining academic excellence.
As a programme we aim to deliver an excellent student sporting experience. Our athletes have a wide range of opportunities to get involved and excel with many highly successful athletes such as
- Bryony Page (Trampoline - Olympic silver medallist, World Championship gold medallist)
- Hollie Pearne-Webb (Hockey - Olympic and European gold medallist, double Commonwealth medallist)
- Dave Wetherill (Table Tennis - three time Paralympian)
- Jazmin Sawyers (Long Jump – Commonwealth silver medallist, European Championship silver medalist and silver medallist in Bobsleigh at the Winter Youth Olympics)
- Nick Beighton (Paracanoe/Rowing – Paralympic bronze medal, World Championship and World Cup bronze medallist)
- Joy Haizelden (Wheelchair Basketball – Paralympian, U25s World Champion, two times bronze medallist at European Championships and World Championships silver medallist).
To find out more about the support available, guidance on level of competition/representation and how to apply, please use the links below.
Successful ESPS Athletes receive support as outline below depending on their level of award.
“To provide support for, and help develop, high performance athletes studying at the University of Sheffield.”
|Support||Level 1||Level 2||Catalyst Accommodation Award|
|Strength and Conditioning||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Physiotherapy||Free consultation, discounted thereafter||Free consultation, discounted thereafter||Free consultation, discounted thereafter|
|Lifestyle Mentoring (Psychology and Nutrition)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Peak S10health Gym Membership
(Click here for benefits)
|One Year Free Accommodation||-||-||Yes*|
*Athletes must be living in the correct accommodation for that academic year in order to be eligible for this award. These accommodations include:
Birchen, Burbage, Cratclifffe, Endcliffe Crescent Flats, Crewe, Curbar, Derwent, Endcliffe Vale Flats, Froggatt, Howden, Kinder, Laddow, Lawrencefield, Millstone, Ramshaw, Ravenstone, Rivelin, Shore Court, Stanage, Stephenson, Wimberry, Windgather and Yarncliffe.
The ESPS Criteria:
Level 2 Tier:
- Senior International (GB or equivalent)
- Top Junior International (GB or equivalent)
- TASS Athlete (Has to be GB or equivalent representation)
- Sport Specific e.g. Road Cycling – Elite Category for at least 12 months
Level 1 Tier:
- International/National Representation (GB, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland or equivalent)
- Professional/Semi-Professional/High Level Academy:
- For example:
- Rugby Union: Regular Premiership Club Academy player, regular player in a National League 1 or above club
- Rugby League: Regular Super League Academy player, regular player in a Championship or above club
- Football: Regular Academy or player at full time, professional EFL club
- Road cycling Specific – Category 1 or above
- GB Development Pathways (e.g. Rowing’s England Talent Pathway, Swimming Pathway to Podium etc.)
- High Level County (Sport dependant)
- TASS Athlete
- For example:
Please note, these criteria are guidelines, representing GB, or equivalent, as a senior international does not guarantee you a Level 2. All athletes who are awarded a place on the scheme are expected to represent The University of Sheffield wherever possible.
Applications for the 2020/21 academic year coming soon.
Please be aware of the application windows below and ensure you are applying for your correct years/level of study. If you fill in the incorrect form your application may be missed, so please check if you are unsure. Spaces are very limited on the scheme so we advise athletes to apply only if they believe they match the criteria guidelines as closely as possible. To further strengthen your application, provide as much clear and detailed information, evidence of sporting achievements and level of competition as possible for the selection committee to consider.
Undergraduates (Current and Potential)
The closing date for undergraduate applications is 5pm, 1st April 2020.
Students will be notified at the end of April if they have a provisional offer of a place on the ESPS.
To apply, please click this link: Click here
The closing date for postgraduate applications is 5pm, 29th May 2020.
Students will be notified at the end of June if they have a provisional offer of a place on the ESPS.
To apply, please click this link: Click here
We reserve the right to re-open applications around the clearing window dependant upon spaces remaining on the scheme. A clearing application window will be update on the website along with links to the appropriate application forms.
A applications go through a shortlisting, then final selection process. A selection panel consisting of senior Sport Sheffield staff, professional service colleagues and Students’ Union representatives will consider your application. To make a decision the panel will take into account your sporting information and achievements (reviewed against a points system), sporting goals for the future and your supporting statement. When making their decisions, the panel will give regard to the following:
- Applicant is a registered student at the University of Sheffield or has an offer/applying to, study at the University of Sheffield.
- Applicant has provided a supporting statement from a coach of NGB representative.
- Applicant has clearly articulated and evidenced their sporting achievements, current ranking/level and future ambitions.
- Applicant has identified clearly how the award will be beneficial to their student experience and sporting endeavours.
- Applicant has clearly demonstrated how they will be an asset to Sport Sheffield and The University of Sheffield.
If you have any questions regarding any area of our Performance Scheme then please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
To enquire about suitability to apply for the Elite Sports Performance Scheme or any other questions relating to Performance Sport please contact our Performance Sport Development Officer Simon Vardy via telephone on 0114 222 6981 or via e-mail through email@example.com.
Our scheme is also funded entirely through donations and partners. To discuss a donation please contact David Meadows, Development Officer – Legacies and Individual Giving via telephone on 0114 222 1073 or email through firstname.lastname@example.org